My dad loved cars growing up - it was part of his generation. He shared his love for cars with me: specifically, American-born cars like the Chevrolet Corvette, Chevrolet Camaro, and Pontiac GTO (the old GTO.)
Go, Go, Speed Racer!
I was doing it all: working on my amateur license, saving up for my own corvette, and driving unique cars on courses and tracks as often as I could find.
But then a cascade of events occurred that really turned me off to further driving:
- I received a ticket for
104 MPHin a
- I lost my license except for work privileges for 6-months
- I got pulled over while suspended for making a right-turn 1 minute early at 5:59 PM
- Thankfully, the second case was thrown out for being absurd
- Then COVID hit right as my suspension was lifted and all driving was stopped
- When it came time to renew our vehicle lease, we opted not to - why pay when we aren't driving?
- For two years after (recently expired) I would go straight to jail for any speeding.
Now we use Uber/Lyft/family and car-rental services to handle a majority of our travel and errands - at substantially less cost than purchasing and maintaining a vehicle.
So while I still appreciate and enjoy looking at cars and driving technology, my desire to drive at high speeds in small cars has basically dissipated.
For the better, my mom would say.
I plan to purchase a car again when Electric Vehicle (EV) technology is sufficiently advanced to bring the purchase-cost of an electric car down to entry-level affordability.
Perhaps the new tax-credits will help.
Car Shows & Driving Events
A few of the car/driving events I found evidence that I attended:
- Charlotte Motor Speedway w/ Bob for Tony Stewart's Double Duty
- Charlotte Motor Speedway Tour w/ ATSI
- Daytona Motor Speedway Tour w/ Bob
- Brickyard 500 @ Indiannapolis, IN (hot passes) w/ Sarah
- Driving Lamborghini & Porsche at parking lot track event
- CamaroFest @ Bowling Green w/ Sarah, Bob, and Mary Beth
- Columbus Car Show w/ Sarah, Mom & Dad
- Detroit Car Show 2019 w/ Bob, Brendan
- Detroit Car Show 2016 w/ Bob, Brendan
- Dave Gill Car Show @ Columbus w/ Bob
I've recently purchased a new 2024 Honda NCW50 Metropolitan 50cc motor-scooter.
The goal is every-day commuter to my Grove City office and offer local repair diagnostic pickups within a small radius.
I've already pushed the limits...